Thursday, April 3, 2008

Springtime Sketches

So, I have Spring Fever! For the last couple days I've been walking to work. This is the plan now. I only live across the street from where I work. And now that the weather is getting nice and that it is actually light out at around 7am when I go to work, the short walk is beautiful. And this morning I saw and heard my first Robin -- a sure sign of Spring! Soon the tree outside my patio will have leaves and that Robin I saw on my way to work this morning will probably try to start building a nest on the drain pipe on my patio. I live on the 3rd and top floor of my apartment building. Birds seem to try this every spring, and it never really works out well because there is no protection from that harsh Fargo wind. So as soon as they have a small patch of muddy grass plastered on the nook of the drain pipe connected to the roof, the wind picks up and blows all of their hard work to the ground below. But who knows, maybe this year will be different for the hopeful family of birds?

Over the weekend, my spring fever travelled to my sketchbook. I was looking at a gardening book at my parents' house and found some neat quotes that helped spark this sketch and made me remember my Grandpa's backyard/garden. When I was little, I remember my Grandpa planting Sweet Peas in March -- probably just around St. Patrick's Day. He had a trellis in his backyard, by the garden. Whenver I was playing outside, I used to check on delicate blooms and watch their progress up the little fence. I thought they were the most beautiful flowers -- and still do, really.




Yesterday I journeyed to Starbucks with my sketchbook, my Watercolor Moleskine, and I resketched so I can add a little bit of color with my new Winsor & Newton Half Pan set. I haven't gotten as far as painting yet, but will be sure to add the aftershot when I do! I want to try and make the color appear aged (on the packet of seeds and on the book), so we'll see how that goes. Below is my Moleskine sketch. Since this sketchbook is a bit smaller, I couldn't fit all of the quotes. I also realized that I need to practice lettering or Calligraphy.





What will I be sketching next? Here's a preview of my furry model... I want to do a sketch of my puppy, Kali Mazoo! Her side profile is so charming. Her fuzzy ears and teddy-bear button nose can melt anyone's heart! More to come later... Happy Sketching!


5 comments:

Rita said...

Cute sketch! Can hardly wait to see it in color. You're lucky to be so close to Barnes and Noble.

Yes--sure has been nice out lately. Spring must be here, right? hehe!

R K said...

Greetings 'new' person.
Your sketches are appealing. Color will take your well-executed drawing in a new direction. I just started with color myself and I really like it. I will be interested to see where you go with it.

Jenifleur-de-lis said...

Thanks Rita dn Rock! Feels good to just get lost in my new sketch books. I'm anticipating the watercolors! :) Soon...very soon!

Lyz said...

Hello there! I was checking out other Fargo blogs, and here you are, with a bunch of my fav books on your profile!

Also, I taught middle school, so I have a big soft spot for YA fiction...AND I've read Just Ella (I think...it was a while ago.)

Sweet blog name (seems to suit you and your interest in France...), and your puppy is a-dorable, even to this cat person.:)

Jenifleur-de-lis said...

Hi Lyz! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words! You've just convinced me that I need to bump up Just Ella in my books to read pile. I've been wanting to read that one for awhile! What other books do you like? Have you read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith? That is my all-time favorite book!