Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

I-rish you a very nice place to live,
I-rish God's greatest gifts he'll give.
I-rish you health, and wealth, and more--
I-rish your smilin' face were at my door!



Being Irish, I love St. Patrick's Day! My Great-Great Grandparents on my mother's side came over from Ireland and it is a dream of mine to travel to Ireland someday!


When I was little, my grandpa always made St. Patrick's Day special for me and my brother. He made us green JELL-O, Grandma even baked Chocolate Chip and Pistachio cookies, and he even recited a few Irish Limericks. Some of which we laughed at and some of which Grandma chided him for without us really understanding why.


Grandpa told us great St. Patrick's Day tales, and we always listened in awe. But what really made it magical was when the Leprechans would come and visit him every year because he was Irish. They were always making a mess and playing tricks on him. When we asked where they were, he told us they were tricky fellows who were very hard to catch site of. He even described what one looked like to us and told us a story when he actually caught one pulling a trick on him. And to our amazement one year, they even rang the doorbell and left my brother and I an Irish surprise - Green candy of all kinds! *Wink, Wink* They must have felt bad for playing so many tricks on Grandpa :)

So Grandpa was our Leprechan, but he made us believe in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- and for that I'll always have fond memories of his great Irish spirit!

No comments: